Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Jan 2023 22:31:35 GMT by
I was wondering how I should include dividend payments from foreign income of a REIT and/or other investment trust? Do I file these as foreign dividends or should they be filed differently? Thanks a lot, c.
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 13:24:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Real estate investment trusts are known in the UK, as Property Income Distributions (PIDs). They are a vehicle that allows an investor to obtain broadly similar returns from their investment, as they would have, had they invested directly in property (IFM21005).  

In the hands of the shareholder, Property Income Distributions (PIDs) are taxable as profits of a UK property rental business. The PID is received net of withholding tax, unless it is to a recipient entitled to gross payment (IFM28125)  

IFM28125 - Real Estate Investment Trust : Distributions: administration: gross payment: SI2006/2867/Reg 7

On the SA108 and online return, the REITs, should be declared in the section 'income from land and property abroad'.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:52:46 GMT by Marine
Hello, I would like some clarification on Foreign REIT income. I have been told before on this forum that they should be put in box 17 "Other taxable UK income" (even though they come from abroad) but on the post above, it is instead suggested to put them under "income from land and property abroad". Which option is correct? Also, does it actually need to be included on the tax return if the total income from foreign REIT is under £1,000? Thank you very much for your help.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:43:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Marine

It is declared as other taxable income and you will declare the sterling amount.
Any amount received is taxable as there is no threshold for this income.

Thank you

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:53:49 GMT by Marine
Hello, Thank you very much for your reply. Kind regards
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 21:13:42 GMT by
Two conflicting pieces of advice. The latter seems good but doesn't make sense in terms of my return because I can no longer find Box 17 "Other Taxable Income" on my online Self Assessment Form. It was there last year and i put my UK REIT income in it. I want to do the same this year and add an American REIT amount. If somebody could get the story straight on this it would help. Including the two pieces of advice here and what your technical team told me directly (by no reply email), I have now had 3 pieces of conflicting advice on where to enter Foreign REIT income, none of which works. I want to enter it in Box 17 but don't find it on the self assessment form. What has happened to it? Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 16:52:56 GMT by
Please ignore my question above. It isn't as I meant to post it. I can't find a delete button or else I would delete it but the issue is now resolved. The title was actually supposed to be that of a complaint to the web admin team because they seemed to want me to be an agent to post here. I don't know why that comment to them has been made a title to my question here. If you want you can delete it for me. As regards subject matter, advice from HMRCAdmin5 has now been confirmed to me by HMRC and makes perfect sense, I have now found the lost page for Box17 "other taxable income" by clicking the relevant box in the preamble to the tax return that asks you questions about where your income comes from. So that is no longer a problem either. Many thanks and kind regards.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 16:56:56 GMT by
Is a Swiss Government Pension subject to UK tax?
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:29:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Only UK REIT should be declared as other income, box 17 on the paper return. You can see guidance here:

How to fill in your tax return

Foreign income will be at the foreign income section.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:01:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi PAL,

Under Article 18 of the double taxation treaty, if you are resident in the UK, the pension is taxable here.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.