Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:34:05 GMT by Stefano Peduzzi
Hi, I no longer have the phone number I used for dual factor authentication and it is impossible to change my security preferences: - In the Governement Gateway login page, I enter user and password and the system tries to send a SMS I cannot receive. I then click on the "Problems receiving this code? You can get help" link and it tells me to call the online services helpline - I contacted the helpline several times, I pass the first set of security questions but then they ask me to questions I cannot answer correctly (What is your Self Assessment source or trade description? What was the month and year that you registered for Self Assessment?) . The tell meto contact the Self Assessment line - I contacted the Self Assessment line and they say there is some issue and they cannot find the answer for those questions either. They suggest I contact the online services helpline! It seems I ended up in a sort of "loop" I cannot get out of. I even tried to create a new Government Gateway user ID and that works fine but when click on Self Assessment, it tells me I used a different user Id in the past and tries to push me to that. I would only like to file my self assessment!! Anyone has an idea on how this could be resolved? Thanks for any advice!
Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 12:53:45 GMT by Andrew Williams
Hi,

You can only have one account that is linked to Self Assessment.

If you have been unable to reset this online, the only way to proceed is by contacting our Online Services Helpdesk.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you
Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:10:24 GMT by Stefano Peduzzi
I wish it was so simple. As mentioned I did contact the Online Services Helpdesk but they have not been able to help because they ask 2 questions that cannot be answered. I have not been able to escalate it and they just say they cannot help.
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 13:33:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you are unable to pass the additional security questions, you will not be able to update the telephone number and won't be able to access the online account.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 15:36:30 GMT by Jeanette Mayes
Stefano Please may i ask if you resolved this and how? as my step daughter is having the exact same problem and we are just going round and round in circles. To change her number on her personal government gateway login was so simple as it was verified by passport and driving licence, but the self assessment link. Forget it! weeks we have been trying now, more hours lost today and still no further forward. Technical support completely unhelpful! filing date approaching and it will be her fault if its not in on time. Why can't you just delete the number? she has email verification and passes this stage everytime
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:43:07 GMT by Stefano Peduzzi
Hi Jeanette, Yes... I was finally able to go through it. I had to call at least 10 times and try all the different month/year combinations until I finally got the right one. It was not really a good experience. Note that out of desperation I also created a new Government Gateway user ID... this did work but it did not solve the problem of being able to access the Self Assesment section as that is still tied to your old user id. So unfortunately the only suggestion I can give you is to keep trying. Cheers, Stefano

You must be signed in to post in this forum.