Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:06:26 GMT by tehvlb
Hi, so mid 2021 i received an email and message telling me i no longer needed to do a SATR, i found this strange given that i pay pension contributions at the higher rate that i dont receive relief at source on. so i had my accountant fill in my SATR as normal and it transpired i was due a rebate of £1800. Mid 2022 i received the same message advising me i no longer need to do a SATR, after asking my accountant to file one (due to the pension contributions) that year i received a rebate of £2200 I have just received the same message and yet my latest SATR shows a rebate of nearly £3k. So my question is, why do you keep telling me i dont need to file an SATR given that each year you are due me a rebate due to my pension contributions? If i had not queried this with my accountant in 2021 i would be circa £6k out of pocket due to overpaying my tax. My SATR is my only way of informing you about my higher rate and according to your own website the only way of doing it is by calling you or filling in an SATR. Thanks
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 14:53:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Claiming tax relief on pension contributions is not Self-Assessment criteria.
We would be closing your record each year after the return is submitted as we wouldn't identify any criteria from your return.
Tax on your private pension contributions
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 15:01:02 GMT by tehvlb
So if that's the case then why does it say this on your website QUOTE Claim tax relief in Scotland You can claim additional tax relief on your Self Assessment tax return for money you put into a private pension of: 1% up to the amount of any income you have paid 21% tax on 21% up to the amount of any income you have paid 41% tax on 26% up to the amount of any income you have paid 46% tax on You can call or write to HMRC to claim if you do not fill in a Self Assessment tax return. Taken from https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-private-pension/pension-tax-relief
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 15:02:59 GMT by tehvlb
Actually from the very link you posted in your reply it tells you to claim tax relief on private pensions at the higher rate via self assessment.
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 15:06:06 GMT by tehvlb
Sorry for the multi post but if you were not 'identifying any criteria " based on my self assessment how do you explain the tax rebates I have received after every submitted self assessment. If that's not based on criteria contained within the self assessment then what criteria is it based on and is it just coincidence that I get notifications about taax refunds not long after my self assessment is submitted?
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 17:03:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
You can claim the relief on a Self Assessment tax return, however it is not criteria on its own for a Self Assessment to be required.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 17:07:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
A calculation and repayment is still issued from the Self Assessment if you are due one however the system would automatically close the record as it wouldn't identify a criteria for you to remain in Self Assessment.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.