Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2022 05:47:54 GMT by williamcfw chan
Hi, if I make my living solely on the profit of trading shares, do I need to report as self-employed and pay national insurance or do I simply caculate the profit and pay capital gain tax?
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:21:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are doing this as trade then you will need to register as self employed and pay the relevant national insurance.

See link:

Business Income Manual    .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:19:07 GMT by williamcfw chan
Thank for your reply. In my understanding if I only trade share in my own account and for myself, in most cases all the profit made will be treated as investment and subject to capital gain instead of trade and subject to income tax. Do I still have to registed as self-employed and pay the relevant tax?
Posted Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:40:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, this would be correct. You would therefore not need to register as self employed. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.