Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:10:23 GMT by CgG
Hello, A question in regards to EEA and EU preferential goods. If we have a movement from Norway to UK with an EEA preference statement covering NO origin goods, but also have EU origin goods contained, can the EU origin goods claim preferential origin with the EEA statement or do they require a separate EU (REX) statement? Thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:23:59 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi CgG The preferential trade agreements between the UK and Norway and between the UK and EU are separate agreements with separate statement on origin requirements and separate product specific origin rules. There is not provision in the UK Norway agreement to also declare goods of EU preferential origin. Goods of EU preferential origin can only be consigned from a non EU country if the goods have remained under customs supervision ( such as held in a customs bonded warehouse). If the goods have been imported into Norway and customs cleared then the goods can only be imported into the UK as EU non preferential origin and therefore subject to UK all country duty rates.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:24:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

CgC,

I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:25:11 GMT by CgG
Good Afternoon, Thanks for the below but I am still unsure, I have also called the Customs and International Trade number who pointed me to the tariff to check commodity codes which doesn't resolve our query. Appreciate any further guidance. Looking at the below Trade Agreement document it states that the EEA Agreement covers Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein, UK AND the 27 EU countries. We are therefore reading that as EEA preferential origin statement on importation covers EFTA countries and EU countries of origin? "The EEA Agreement primarily puts in place equal rights and obligations within the EEA for individuals and economic operators working and trading in the EEA (EU 27+ UK (during the transition period), Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein). The EEA Agreement also extends the EU’s four freedoms to its EEA EFTA signatories: the free movement of goods, services, persons, and capital." Page 6 - Heading 6 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/continuing-the-uks-trade-relationship-with-iceland-and-norway-parliamentary-report Appreciate you support in understanding this fully as we are seeing mixed info when researching. Cheers CgG
Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:49:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
I would advise checking :
Proving originating status and claiming a reduced rate of Customs Duty for trade between the UK and EU
Or contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:38:18 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi CgC The UK transition period ended on 31 December 2020 therefore the reference to that parliamentary report is out of date. A new trade agreement between Norway and its EEA EFTA partners came into effect on 1 December 2021. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/uk-norway-iceland-and-liechtenstein-free-trade-agreement. The new agreement covers Iceland , Liechtenstein and Norway and the UK. According to the agreement only goods meeting the product specific origin conditions on sufficient working in the parties to the agreement can be declared of preferential origin under the agreement. Annex I . Although the EU is not part of the agreement it does allow for EU origin goods to to used for further manufacture in Norway ( from the perspective of a Norwegian exporter). Article 7 of the annex on rules of origin. Thus goods of EU origin that have not sufficiently been processed to become ( in your example) Norwegian origin cannot be exported from Norway as preferential origin. As previously mentioned goods of EU preferential origin can only be reconsigned from a non EU country if the goods have remained under customs supervision. The same would also apply for EU preferential origin goods being reconsigned from the UK . You also need to bear in mind that there is information on the . Gov website that is historical and no longer in force.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.