Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:57:55 GMT by APG19
Good afternoon, I recently begun working as a freelance contractor for an organisation. The services are for a fixed term of one year, from April 2022 to March 2023 (Financial year 22-23). I have the monthly breakdown of payments for this period as well as the monthly invoices/receipts. I know that I will have to register for self-assessment to report this income, but I was just confirming when I should do this. I see that the self-assessment is for the preceding financial year, rather than the current one. Therefore, my question is should I register for self-assessment now and record the previous 3 and current months (and then the following 8 as they come) or should I wait until after the end of the current financial year?
Posted Thu, 01 Sep 2022 10:08:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi APG19,

You are able to complete the Self-Assessment tax return for 06/04/2022-05/04/2023 once this tax year ends on the 5 April 2023. 

You will declare all your income received during the tax year on one Self-Assessment tax return, by tailoring the tax return form. 

You are required to register by 05/04/2023 for a 22/23  tax return.

Please see this link for guidance: 

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 02 Sep 2022 08:57:44 GMT by Christine Tong
I have sent SA01 from by post 3weeks ago form registration and not get feedback UTR no. How check I check the status?
Posted Tue, 06 Sep 2022 13:05:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to contact our Income Tax team to query the position

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 11:21:52 GMT by tklam630
Good afternoon, May I know where can i get the SA01 form ? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:02:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can access the SA1 form here:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.