Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 08:50:23 GMT by muffin321
I do not have a computer ( a relative is typing this for me ) I have been receiving a short tax return by post for a number of years. I was notified shortly before the end of the 22/23 tax year that these would no longer be sent and I would need to phone a dedicated phone line if I needed one. I immediately did so and was told the form would be received in 2-3 weeks. However when it arrived it was not a short form but just part of the SA 100 as shown on the HMRC website as " for reference only". Just about 4 pages non of which were relevant and the accompanying notes were from a totally different year. I then telephoned the Self/Assessment unit and eventually got through after an hour and a half. I explained the situation to a gentleman who checked that it was OK for me to have the short form and said he would ensure it was sent to me, Again told it would take 2-3 weeks to go through the system. That time has now passed and still no form. HOWEVER WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED IS YET ANOTHER LETTER TELLING ME I NEED TO PHONE A DEDICATED PHONE NUMBER IF I NEED THE FORM. I have information which HMRC are awaiting in order to amend my tax code and yet I cannot even get the required form. I have recently been in hospital and what should be a straightforward situation is causing a lot of stress. I have had over 6 weeks of having to go down 3 floors to check my letterbox. I always complete and return my form quickly and this is cutting down the time I have to sort everything out. HMRC please let me know how I can get this form sent without yet another 2-3 weeks wait. Older customers, who like myself do not have a computer, should not be made to go through all this just to get a required form.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 17:18:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi muffin321,

The short  tax returns are automatically issued by the system.
When you contact our helpline and request a duplicate SA200 you should receive this within 3-4 weeks.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 08:08:55 GMT by Robot5
Sorry HMRC Admin 25 but your reply is in correct. I have just come off the phone speaking to HMRC in the last hour. I and my wife did not get a SA200 this year either, according to the agent it was sent by the HMRC in April. I requested a replacement SA200 but was informed by the agent that as from 6th May 2023 HMRC will not send out paper copy replacements. These form are not available to download either. Now that is not very helpful is it ? Are you planning to review this ?
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 16:41:16 GMT by muffin321
HMRC Please bring these severe problems with forms to the attention of someone who can sort it out. Every time I telephone I am given different information. Waiting 8 weeks for forms and still doubting that they will arrive is totally unacceptable. Untold worry is being caused to those older customers who are least able to cope with it and may well need plenty of time to complete the forms if and when they arrive. Please ensure something is done to review the whole situation. You warn people they will incur a penalty if forms are late but this is totally unfair if we cannot even get the forms in reasonable time.
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 14:53:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi muffin321

Advisers have passed on feedback regarding this.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.