Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Oct 2022 20:37:18 GMT by kenling
hi, we are first year to submit self assessment. and we need to claiming Remittance Basis and spilt year. as I know I need to send the self assessment in paper by post and deliver on or before 31 OCT, and claiming Remittance Basis and spilt year do not accept online submit. My brother and I apply for UTR a month ago. we have similar name(first word of first name is exactly the same..), same last name and we live in the same address. However I got the UTR and he haven't got the UTR...and he keep checking the gateway, he still cannot saw the UTR on the home page. and haven't received a letter for UTR. 1.what's should he do right now? we just worry there is mistake on the system. I worry the system/ staff think we are the same person but we are not... 2.should he mail the self assessment tomorrow without the UTR(but he has NI number)? 3. if he haven't received the UTR after the deadline, how can he do? thank you for your help.
Posted Sat, 29 Oct 2022 01:03:55 GMT by HCL_Chan
Hi HMRC Admin, My wife has similar issue. This is the first year for her to file self assessment tax return. As she needs to submit SA109 to claim split year treatment, she needs to submit SA109 together SA100 in paper by post, the deadline is on/before 31 Oct (tomorrow). She online submitted the SA1 form on 27 Sep and received confirmation email from HMRC digital team telling her that she has signed up to online tax letters, but as of today (29 Sep) she still not yet receive the UTR number. She also can't find any UTR number showing on her Personal Tax Account homepage. What should she do? 1. Should her post her self assessment tax return leaving the UTR field empty? 2. Should her wait until receiving the UTR number, but she can only post her self assessment tax return after the deadline? Kind Regards
Posted Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:01:42 GMT by kenling
I cannot read your reply. anything I need to do to read?? I have sign in already. "Posted about 12 hours ago by HCL_Chan WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator. "
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:40:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
He should telephone the self assessment helpline 0300 200 3310.
One he has passed security, we can check what has happened and provide him with the UTR.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 12:16:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi
HCL_Chan ,

We cannot advise on which way your wife should submit her tax return. 

Please have your wife contact the self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310. 

After passing a security check, we will be able to check your wife's self assessment registration and potentially, provide the 10 digit UTR number. 

If the tax return and supplementary pages are posted, your wife will be issued with a £100.00 late filing penalty, as the return will be recevied
after the 31 October deadline. 

She has the right to appeal any penalties, provided we have the tax return and to do so, the appeal would either need to be in writing
(stating the ground for the appeal) or online. 

Further guidance on appeals can be found at:

Self Assessment tax returns   .  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.