Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:14:44 GMT by JA AU
Hi, I am on a dependant visa since Aug 2019. While renewing my visa, home office didn't issue me a Biometric Residence Permit and hence I could not return to the UK within 183 days. I became resident in both the countries as per the respective tax laws. We have a DTAA between India and the UK. I was ordinarily staying in the UK since 2019 Aug in a rented property. I do not own home in both the countries. I live in my wife's house while I was in India. As per the DTAA, I can claim tax credit against Indian tax liability for the taxes paid in the UK if I can produce a Tax Residence Certificate. I had applied for a tax Residence Certificate form HMRC and by mistake, I didn't provide the info of foreign income and tax paid thereof, which I had submitted in my self assessment tax return. As I omitted to enter the foreign income details on the online form, HMRC didn't issue me a Tax Residence Certificate and instead issued me with a letter of confirmation of residence. In this connection, can I resubmit the form including the foreign income? Also I wish to cancel the letter of confirmation of residence. Is it okay if I mention this on the application form? If the answers to the above is no, please can you help me with a resolution to get a tax Residence Certificate so that I can claim foreign tax relief against Indian Income tax liability? Many thanks, J
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 08:45:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Yes you can reapply here

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.