Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:37:10 GMT by fkcheng668
Hi, I moved in UK on 8 Mar 23, I have checked I'm non tax resident for the year 2022-23 (less than 45 days). I have worked in HK before arrival and paid the tax in HK. Do I need to submit any self assessment in the year of Apr 22 to Apr 23 even though I didn't have any income except few hundred pounds of interest earned in HK and UK?
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:35:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi fkcheng668,
Please refer to guidance here: 
Self Assessment tax returns
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:57:24 GMT by Raymond_33
Hi HMRC, As I know that for non UK resident: -don't qualify for the split year -don't qualify for the personal allowance, -should only pay tax on income and capital gain from a source in UK -no need to pay tax on oversea income and capital gain, since these are out of the scope of UK tax -may still be required to complete a tax return if he / she is having a source of income in UK -may not required to complete a tax return if he / she is working in UK and your tax has been deducted by your employer through PAYE (Pay as you earn). -may not required to complete a tax return if he / she have bank interest income, which is qualify for the disregarded income. Please clarify if these are correct, Thanks
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 13:37:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you state you are not due personal allowances, you will need to contact HMRC direct to ensure these are not given against your PAYE income. Please also refer to below to see if a return is required.

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.