Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 10:47:15 GMT by janetporter932
Hello. I received a letter stating that HMRC have information on me selling online in the last tax year. I was already planning on registering as self-employed and submitting a late self-assessment. I suffer with mental health, wasn't aware I would be taxed, I'm not a business but I did sell quite a lot of stuff online during an 8 month period. Am I entitled to reply to the letter stating that I'm submitting a late self-assessment rather than having to go through any disclosure? Even though they've asked me to do a disclosure? I just want to make sure I'm still able to do this. I would rather accept a punishment for submitting late than disclosing something that isn't true. Thanks. 
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 10:29:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

From what you have said, you are condsidered to be a self employed, sole trader. Where your turnover is over £1000 in a tax year, the Self Assessment criteria is met and a tax return must be completed, to report and pay tax and National Insurance on any profits, after expenses are deducted, that arise in the tax year, including the tax year you commenced self employment. You can see guidance here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

The submission of late tax returns and late payment of tax, can result in penalties being imposed and interest charged. You can see more information here:

Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.