Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:08:24 GMT by
I received oversea royalty on books which less than £4000 this year, do I need to claim as self employed? If so, how to fill the accounting details as I just simply receive a memo from publisher for the royalty yearly and that's all. Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 11:43:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Cathy Kwan,
Royalties are a form of self employment and should be declared on SA103 as part of the tax return, even if the royalties are from overseas.  
If the royalties from overseas have tax deducted in another country, you would also complete SA106 and claim a tax credit of up to 100% of the overseas tax paid.
Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.