Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 18:25:22 GMT by Bright Aspect
Hello, today I have submitted a second year's Self Assessment for my client. They are full-time employed and part-time self employed. For the last two years, both years' they have made a loss on their self-employment. So, how come they are having to pay HMRC more, although an admittedly a small amount, rather than not in receipt of a refund?
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:12:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Self Assessment tax calculations are based on the entries in the tax return, as we do not have access to your client's return we are unable to comment why your client is paying more tax.

In a Self Assessment tax return, there is an option for a self employed individual to carry forward their losses to set against a future profits, (box 35 - SA103S) or in the year in which the loss arises, they can opt to set the loss against other general income, (box 33 SA103S).  

Helpsheet HS227 provides more information. 

HS227 Losses (2022)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.