Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Jun 2023 11:09:08 GMT by Yiiu Leung Tang
I received share dividends from Hong Kong. Some of the dividends were paid by China Corporate. The dividends were deducted 10% tax by China Government before receiving it. Shall I declare this income in the Self Assessment? Does it have taxation relief for this kind of dividends?
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:20:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If UK tax resident, yes.
See guidance at:
Tax on foreign income
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 12:02:34 GMT by r99r
Would you please kindly advise which country code should be used for the dividends from these China companies listed in Hong Kong Stock Exchange? Given that there are 10% dividend tax paid to the China, and the remain dividends are distributed in Hong Kong.
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 17:33:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi r99r,
The guidance notes of SA109, provide a list of all the abbreviated country codes.
 You can find the list on:
Residence, remittance basis etc notes
T

Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 18:20:57 GMT by r99r
  1. Hi Admin, Thank you for the notes and I am aware of the country codes list. To continue on my question above, would you please advise, if one should consider China as the Country of the origin, for those dividends distributed by a China company listed in Hong Kong Stock Exchange? For your reference, China companies withhold 10% of the dividends, which paid to the relevant authority in China, and 90% dividends will go to the shareholders in Hong Kong. In that case, the dividends received by shareholders in Hong Kong is taxed by China. To be eligible for tax relief claim, dividends from China should entitled 10% rate claim maximum, while dividends from Hong Kong, receive no relief. Therefore, it is important to determine the country code (CHN or HKG) is applicable for those dividends from a China company but listed in Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Thank you for your attention!
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 11:36:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

The shares were purchased on the Hong Kong stock exchange, but the shares are for a Chinese company, so the dividends should be declared under China and not Hong Kong.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.