Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 19:35:39 GMT by Lisa Sachs
Hi - up until last year I was a foster carer with my local authority. I have now left that role but I still needed to put in my Self Assessment for 21/22. I filled in the form on my own (we don't get any help with this) but inadvertently forgot to press the SUBMIT button and so the assessment was filed a week or so late. I have been fined £100 and I've also been advised that I have an outstanding balance of £165.87 from 21/22 (which I think is voluntary contrib?). The whole self assessment statement that I have been sent isn't clear. I've tried and tried to get through to HMRC - to the point that I've almost been in tears - I've been left on hold for 45 plus minutes on about 4 or 5 occasions only to be cut off. It's so frustrating! I then wrote a letter and posted it "Signed for" but Royal Mail haven't confirmed that its ever arrived and so today I'm sending another letter .... The point is as foster carers we are not supposed to pay tax - I certainly earned well under the tax threshold whilst a foster carer. Now I apparently owe HMRC £265?! I just want to speak to someone for advise - it's been the most frustrating thing ever trying to get through. I really don't know what to do - I can't hang on the phone all day as I work full time in a school. Any advice from anyone please? I'm worried that they will now start charging me interest.
Posted Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:55:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Foster carers are liable to pay tax if their income is sufficient enough for tax to be deducted. 

If your tax return was late, then you will have been charged a £100.00 late filing penalty. 

You have the right to appeal the penalty and can do so, by completing the penalty appeal form SA370, which can be found at :

Self Assessment: appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment   )

As a foster carer, you are treated as self employed and would be subject to class 2 NIC and class 4 NIC contributions,
if your profit is above the thresholds for these contributions. 

Class 2 NIC is voluntary below the threshold, so it's possible you have agreed to pay voluntary class 2 NIC. 

The only ways to contact HMRC are by telephone and in writing.

As you have ceased being a foster carer, please review the guidance at :

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return     

to determine whether self assessment is still appropriate for you. 

If not, you will need to contact HMRC self assessment helpline to advise that you have ceased being a foster carer . 

The self assessment helpline numbers are: Number: 0300 200 3310, Text Relay: 18001 0300 200 3310, Overseas: +44 161 931 9070
(Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. 

Closed on weekends and bank holidays .

  Your other alternative is to write to
HMRC at HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.