Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 10:49:26 GMT by
I've just completed my tax return, providing all the necessary information from my P60, P11D etc. I have a private pension on which I claim standard tax relieve, and that's it. I have 3 children (16, 13 and 13), and the calculation for the child benefit received is £2,636.00. Can anyone explain to me why, when I complete my tax return the repayment figure is returned as owing £2,738.60 or £102.60 more than I've received in child benefit. I earn over 60K a year meaning I should payback 100% (or £2636 only), but HMRC have decided that I somehow owe an extra 1.26% . I do not owe anything from previous years and I'm PAYE. So where has this additional child tax come from?
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:04:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi

If you have submitted the return and the amount is higher than you are expecting, please contact us using 'Ask HMRC Online' and request to speak with an adviser.
You will be put in the webchat queue and we can review the return,
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 08:02:08 GMT by
@Paul Maber A Self Assessment return isn't just to collect the High Income Child Benefit Charge, it also establishes any additional income tax due for the year. For example you mention P11D. Your tax code might have included a provisional amount of company benefit but the actual benefit can be different meaning more tax is owed for other reasons than just HICBC. Or do you mean the HICBC element of your Self Assessment calculation is greater than the Child Benefit? Unfortunately you haven't really made it clear exactly what the issue is and tax is all about the detail.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.