Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:45:26 GMT by
I live in Switzerland, I am a British Citizen and would like to submit my 22-23 Tax online. It all works to the end (however there is no reference to the SA109 form i.e. the residency form which I have to fill in as a non-UK resident ) .... so I did not press the final submit, as this would make my return invalid I guess. Filing online would really be the best solution , also I never get any feedback when I send Paper copy of the Tax return.(when I send from Switzerland I am always anxious that it did not arrive at the Tax office). My Tax return details are already waiting filled in on my HMRC web portal. Is there a way I can upload the SA109 form with a cover note. ( i.e. through my online Tax portal , I have all the UTR numbers etc.) ? Thanks for any information....
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:53:06 GMT by
....or is it possible to send a paper copy of the SA109 to the Tax office. If this is possible which department / Address would I send it to ?. thanks....
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:49:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi chiprobot,
For a non resident individuals to submit their tax return online, they need to purchase 3rd party commerical software.
HMRC provides a list of suppliers here:
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers 
After chosing your supplier, you complete their full tax return, which will include the resiedence section and submit their return.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 10:07:21 GMT by
Thanks for the information.... I have since contacted the Tax office "Real Time" , they have told me I can file "Online" even though I live outside the UK without using 3rd party software.......however...... The SA109 form can be simply sent separately postal-wise to :- HMRC, PAYE & Self Assessment, BX9 1AS, UK (might be a good idea to explain this in the "Online submission" information, for persons not living in the UK.)
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 19:47:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi chiprobot,
You need to send the whole tax return together whether it be online or by paper.
If you are filing online, you will need to purchase 3rd party software as previously advised.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.