Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:16:51 GMT by
Hi, I have a non-tax paying trust which has never completed a self-assessment return due to no tax arising within the trust. The trust has sold the property held within it but there is no chargeable gain arising on the sale. I understand no 60 day reporting is required due to there being no chargeable gain, however, is there a requirement to complete a self-assessment return to report the sale due to the proceeds exceeding 50k? Or is there another way to report the sale to HMRC without having to register for self-assessment for one year? Thanks, 
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 13:38:00 GMT by
Can anyone answer this query please?
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 16:41:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jenni,
Why is there no gain, is there a loss to report or are you claiming a relief?
If you have no tax to pay, then you do not have to report online but if there is a claim that reduced the gain to nil then you need to claim that in the self-assessment return for the trust and will need to change the Trust Registration Service (TRS) record to taxpaying in order to obtain an UTR.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.