Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:53:34 GMT by WThouse
How will I be able to tell if a USA Charity I donated to is a permissable charity for UK tax relief ? (tax relief on donation is not claimed in any other way, paid by UK citizen not paying tax anywhere else but UK ). It is a 501.c.3 charity. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 11:03:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will only be able to claim gift aid for charities based in the UK, EU, Iceland or Norway which are registered and recognised by HMRC.  

If a charity is not recognised by HMRC, the charity can not claim the tax back and gift aid relief is therefore not available.  You can see guidance here:

Charities and tax

Claiming Gift Aid as a charity or CASC                                                    

HMRC does not publish a list of oversees charities recognised for gift aid.  

You may wish to direct your enquiry to the Charities Commission.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.