Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 13:23:27 GMT by jcbnch
If I pay a VAT bill for the time I was wrongly registered as self employed, will I get it refunded when the end of year tax returns are done? I was working as self employed until October 2022, which is when I left the UK. I was not made aware I needed to deregister as self employed as my tax was taken care of by a third party company. In March 2023 I received a tax bill for the period Oct 2022 to Dec 2022 for over £600. I was not even in the country at that time. I have now deregistered and the tax company is doing my returns for the previous year. My question is, if I pay that bill for the time I wasn't working but was still registered, will it be refunded when the tax return is processed, as I wasn't working at that time?
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 15:35:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If you are referring to being VAT registered and you paid an assessment figure when the actual return should have been nil once your VAT return is submitted you would receive a refund. 
VAT does not run in tax years, returns are every 3 months.
I would check with your tax company who are dealing with this as they will have calculated any VAT due whilst you were registered.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.