Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 17:55:38 GMT by Ally Delta
I'm married and have recently started the process of changing my name to my husbands. However, I want to continue using my maiden name for my professional work, and I am confused about what I should change and what I should leave the same. My business name is "Firstname Maidenname Artist" do I need to have a bank account that still has my maiden name, in order to do my accounting? Or if I have to change my name at the bank, how would it work if my invoices say on name and my banking another? What other steps do I need to take to make sure I'm doing this correctly? Any help clarifying what steps I should take would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and all the best, 
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 15:29:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ally Delta,

The banking name does not need to be the same.
You can update your name with HMRC, but your name for trading would not need to be updated.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.