Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:33:59 GMT by Eplaskitt Plaskitt
Any help gratefully received. The self-assessment forms seem to have changed since last year, or I am going mad. I am a university lecturer. I am the employee of one programme (they take tax, N.I., give me a P45 etc) but I also teach for three other programmes as self-employed. On page 2 of "tailor your return" it asks "How many employments or directorships did you have?" And then asks how many businesses I have. Which applies to my different jobs? I filled in 'employments' but it is now saying ther is an error as I haven;t filled in my businesses. I have no businesses. Any other lecturers out there? Thank you!
Posted Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:00:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

If the work for these programmes is Self-Employed, you would need to declare. State this as one business on the return otherwise you won't be able to complete the Self-Employment


Thank you.

Posted Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:56:55 GMT by rationalist
I have the same - where you do a small piece of work like lecture or examining, some Universities call you an employee, some pay you and deduct tax, others pay you the full amount. So I do employment page for those that give you a P45/P60. Then the page called ‘Other UK income not shown on supplementary pages’ section (on tailor your tax return) for those that deduct tax, where you can put in gross and tax. Then I do 'Self employment' for those that pay just an amount.
Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 14:00:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes this would be correct.

You can put both the ones that tax or dont tax outwith P45 in the Other UK income if this is not work done as a sole trader.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.