Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:49:53 GMT by L8888
Hello. I have became a landlord in November 2022. The income is split with my wife. We only have one property that we are renting. I am in full time employment (PAYE) and my wife is full time housewife. Can you please advice when should we register for Self Assessment? Also is the deadline to submit Self Assignment January 2023?
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:09:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

November 2022, falls into the 2022 to 2023 tax year, which does not end until 5 April 2023.  

Income from property is criteria for completing a Self Assessment tax return. The first thing to do, is confirm that a tax return is required. You can do this by using the self assessment criteria tool here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

If you need to complete a 2022 to 23 tax return, you can register for Self Assessment here:

Register for Self Assessment

You can choose to download and print off, a paper tax return (SA100) and residential property page (SA105). You will also need to compete the employment summary page (SA102) and any other pages that are relevant to your circumstances. You can also submit tax returns online.  

You will need to register for a personal tax account, if you do not yet have one:

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

Paper tax returns for 2022 to 23 must be submitted no later than 31 October 2023 and online returns by 31 January 2024. All tax due, is payable by 31 January 2024.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.