Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 16 Apr 2023 17:39:46 GMT by ForeignIntern
I was an intern in the US for 9 months last tax year. I entered this income in my self assessment as needed and all the details are correct. However when it calculates my tax it only considers the period I have been self employed in the UK since finishing my internship. I can't find any options that seem relevant. Should I trust the self assessment site or if not what should I do?
Posted Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:05:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If your internship was employment income, this will need to be declared in the employment section  If tax was deducted from this income and you are claiming a foreign tax credit relief, you also need to declare this in "Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income" of the foreign section. Please say in the ‘Any other information’ box (on page TR 7) where on your tax return this income is included.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.