Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:49:31 GMT by James Higson
Hi, my tax code was changed last year due to tax rebate from pension contributions in the 40% bracket the previous year. My tax code in the tax year 22-23 was 1384L. When filling in my tax return this year, this figure is not brought through in the personal allowance. I therefore need to account for the £1,270 difference on the self assessment form (£13,840-£12,570). Does anyone know where this should be entered as I cannot for the life of me work out where it should be!
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:31:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
If you are completing the tax return online, please make sure you have said "YES" to the question which asks if you made pension contributions.
This will then open the relevant section where you can declare it.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:47:01 GMT by James Higson
Hi, thank you for your response. I can see how to enter the figures for this year, but my query relates to a change in tax code in the year 22-23 caused by pension contributions in the year 20-21. My tax code in the year 22-23 was 1384L because of the above. I believe I will be taxed on the £1,270 difference between the personal allowance of £12,570 and £13,840 this year as this figure is not automatically brought through. I need to understand where this discrepancy can be accounted for. I cannot see anywhere when I say 'YES ' to he question which asks if I made pension contributions where this information can be entered.
Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:51:02 GMT by James Higson
Sorry year 21-22 not 20-21
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:21:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You should only be declaring contributions that were made in 2022 to 2023 in the tax return. The question regarding Pension Contributions is on 'Tailor your return page 3 of 3'

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.