Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 Feb 2023 05:43:49 GMT by
hi, i sent in my r43s twice, once in October and again in December. there's been no feedback and nothing i can find to work out what's happening with them or the time frame. can you offer any guidance or help with this? i'm living abroad and paper replies from hmrc can take upwards of 3 months to reach me but i did enclose, and request, a UK address for any replies to be sent to although there's been nothing sent there. on my personal tax page it does say that a form arrived on 8/12/22 but it still seems to be in the process of being worked upon, the earlier submission seems to have concluded but there's no detail to be found.
Posted Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:02:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

We do have a large backlog at present and are currently working claims received 27 October 2022. As you have not stated what date that form was sent we cannot give you a definate date for a reply. Based on the December date, it will be 3 April 2023 for a reply.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 16:51:15 GMT by
I've taken money out from my private pension which was below £12500. I've been taxed on this although this is my only income for last year. How likely will it be that I will receive a tax refund? Sending the R43 by post is really very inconvenient and will delay the process further. Can anyone advise please?
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 10:20:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi SusanPloetz,

You do not say whether you are resident in the UK or not, so R43 may not be appropriate.  

To make a repayment claim you will need to submit R43 to HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS.  You can find our contact details here-

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 00:51:22 GMT by
hi the r43 forms have now disappeared from my tax page but there's no information. i am set up for paperless contact but haven't received an email, nor have i received any kind of paper contact. can you give me any idea of what's happening? how long this process takes and what i should do? thanks
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 10:40:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi danny monk

You can access an R43 here Claim personal allowances and tax refunds if you live abroad

Thank you
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 00:43:45 GMT by
Hello, I am a British citizen. I wish to submit an R43 form to claim a tax repayment for the 2020/21 tax year but I seek clarification on how to correctly fill out the form. During the 2020/21 tax year I was non-resident in the UK as I was living in Denmark. I have since returned to the UK. The R43 form requires me to state both my last UK address and my current address. Since I returned to the UK in 2022, my current address is in the UK as opposed to Denmark. Question 1: Since I have now returned to the UK, is the R43 form still the correct form for me to complete or should I complete the R40 form? Question 2: If I should indeed complete an R43 form, should I answer that my current address is the address where I was living in Denmark during the 2020/21 tax year or should I answer that my current address is the address where I am now living in the UK? Thank you for your help.
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:19:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rob taylor,
 Please complete the address with your current information but put a note to state the date you returned and that for the period in question you were actually living in Denmark.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 12:07:23 GMT by
Hello Can I file a R43 electronically rather than by post? If so Is this through my personal tax account or can my accountant do this for me through their government gateway? I cannot see any option on the gov website to submit online and nothing showing within my personal tax account Thank you
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:22:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
No this has to be in the post.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:23:06 GMT by
Hello I sent my completed form R43 via registered post on the 1st of September 2023 and have not yet heard back from HMRC. I was living, working and paying income tax in the UK up until the 16th of August 2023. I have now moved to the Republic of Ireland. I provided my mobile number, email address and postal address on the form but have not yet been contacted. What is the best way to proceed with getting my form processed?
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:30:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As we would need to access your record to check on the progress of the claim you will nned to contact our Income Tax team:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 02:50:25 GMT by Rob Taylor
Hello, Are you able to advise on current waiting times to receive a reply for a R43 form? I sent the form in the post in December last year. I am aware that I should not expect a quick reply, however my claim was for the 2020/21 tax year and soon claiming for this year will become unavailable. I did not use recorded delivery, shall I resend the form with recorded delivery so that I have evidence that I submitted the form before the deadline in case the first form is lost? Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:21:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If submitted in December itshould have been reviewed by now. If you have still not received a reply then you will need to contact HMRC to review: Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.