Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:54:03 GMT by Bluejazzy
I am academic staff of a UK university. Last year I was external examiner in PhD viva examinations in a couple of other universities, for which I received £350. How should I declare this income? Do I need to register as self-employed? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 08:43:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Bluejazzy,

If your self employment income in the tax year, is below £1000.00, then you do not need to register as self employed or declare the income on a Self Assessment Tax return, even if you complete a tax return for other reasons.  

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.