Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 May 2022 14:23:42 GMT by Jim27h
Am I able to claim for the use of my campervan (I own it) and meals for overnight stays when working away from home as I would for a hotel visit when working away from home? For 2021-22, I spent more days away in it on business use than we did on holiday. I'm self-employed. Thanks
Posted Fri, 27 May 2022 11:29:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
The cost of travelling from home to place of work is generally disallowed, representing as it does the (private) choice of where to live and that such is separate from the place of work.
It makes no difference that you may at times work at home or keep your business records, materials, tools etc at home.
Everyone needs a place to live and the journey from their place of residence to place of work is, at least in part, occasioned by the private choice of where to live.
So the journey will have a dual purpose and the cost is not allowable :
Wholly and exclusively: duality of, or non-trade, purpose: travel costs: home to work
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Fri, 27 May 2022 11:40:45 GMT by Jim27h
That's great - thanks and understood. I don't think I was clear though. I should have given an example. I mostly work from my office at home however I have clients all over the country. When I go and work on site at a client's premises say 300 miles away from home, I stay in a hotel. I claim for this hotel as a business expense - e.g. a Travelodge at £50 per night. My question is if I stay in my campervan, can I claim a rate for staying in it as a business expense? If not and I choose to stay in a campsite at £22 per night, can I claim the campsite fees as a business expense?
Posted Mon, 30 May 2022 11:46:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

There is no flat rate for campervan occupation for business. As long as the whole stay is for business you can claim the campsite fee and any other expenses that is wholly and exclusively for the trade.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 10:43:53 GMT by Heather Penney
@Jim27h Thanks for asking and getting clarification on this question. Useful to know :-)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.