Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 14:04:31 GMT by
I have imported a product (0.0% vat, cost over £1500) from EU using my business vehicle. Export custom clearance was dealt by a custom company in The EU country. The product has been already installed at a customer's. I have EORI number, but I am not registered with custom declaration service. What else do I need to do to comply with import regulations?
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 08:39:21 GMT by L M
Hi Peter, You can ask a customs agent to declare the import as arrived ("voluntary disclosure"). If the import was of preferential EU origin with sufficient evidence, there would be no duty to pay. Together with 0% VAT, only a declaration fee would be payable to the agent. Here is a link to the UK customs agents list: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/list-of-customs-agents-and-fast-parcel-operators And here is a link to CDS registration - it takes a couple of minutes and requires a Government Gateway login: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-access-to-the-customs-declaration-service Hope it helps.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 12:10:55 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Peter A customs import declaration for the goods should have been made prior to entering the UK. The process for short ferry crossings from the EU should mean the goods are customs cleared during the crossing. As LM mentioned you will now need to make a post import voluntary declaration. Import VAT of 20% would normally be due unless the goods are zero rated. If you are VAT registered them you can used postponed VAT accounting so you do not physically pay the VAT but account for it on your VAT return.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 14:08:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Peter Ambroziak,
Please use this link to register for CDS, use your new Government Gateway account any issues click the Is this page not working properly link and report the issue.
Customs Declaration Service

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 11:28:13 GMT by
Happy to complete the CDS Import declaration for you £ 25 VAT zero depends on the product (commodity code ) and Proof of Origin .
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:02:11 GMT by
What if I was to import motor parts to the UK from a non- European country, from Japan for example. What would be the required taxes to payable. For both business and personal use
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 15:26:04 GMT by Customs oldtimer
All goods imported into the Uk are subject to import duty and import VAT . Whether they are for private use or business isn’t relevant as the same charges apply. There is however a duty relief but not a VAT relief for goods below £135 . The rate of duty applicable depends on the type of goods so you need to check the Uk tariff schedule which is free to view on line. The all country rate is likely to apply unless you are importing qualifying goods from a country with which we have a trade agreement and you also have the correct documentation of that preferential origin. Goods simply consigned from a country which the UK has a trade agreement will not qualify for reduced rates of duty. Car parts cover a wide range of different products which carry different duty rates therefore it is impossible to give a generalisation.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 12:13:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Husnain,

You can check the customs charges on the commodity by using the UK Integrated Online Tariff here:

UK Integrated Online Tariff

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.