Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 14:21:11 GMT by LAURA JACKSON
We have contractors from the EU coming over to do some work on our building. They will need to bring their tools with them, which will be imported in a crate on the lorry with the rest of the goods. To avoid paying duties / taxes on their work tools which they will take back with them, we need to import under a temporary arrangement. Does this have to be done using an ATA Carnet or is there another option?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 13:21:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.
Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 14:01:53 GMT by
I would use oral declaration for tools on the GMR EU-GB and GB-EU , Have a list of items and photographic evidence of the Tools would add the any query later
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 08:41:42 GMT by
you can complete a simplified Temporary admission import entry, you would pay VAT/Duty however this will be reclaimed upon proof of rexport, Import procedure would be 5300XXX Export procedure would be 3153000
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 09:26:24 GMT by LAURA JACKSON
Thanks for the information. Is this just from a UK point or does this also cover the re-import back in to Italy?
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 16:44:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi LAURA JACKSON
I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 19:48:15 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi LAURA JACKSON The alternative procedures previously mentioned only cover getting the tools in and out of the UK. I would suggest the contractor check what requirements apply for temporary export and reimport in Italy. The EU law allows for oral or simple declarations however each country is free to set down how or if they want to implement it. More formally returned goods should be possible.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.