Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:24:38 GMT by Leon Roy
I'm running Basic Paye Tools 21.1.21106.209 - it keeps asking me to update it. I've run the update installer many times and even tried an install on a Mac without Basic Paye Tools - the installer completes fine and says *Successfully installed* but it doesn't seem to update or install the app at all. Is there a known issue with the latest version of this app?
Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:37:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Please contact our Online Services Helpdesk who will assist with this enquiry.

Their telephone number is 0300 200 3600. 

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:36:43 GMT by Mike Smith
If there is a fix you can apply over the phone, why not post it here so we can all benefit without spending all day on the phone waiting to talk to someone?
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:46:15 GMT by Leon Roy
I dunno what the official fix is - the friendly HMRC support agent wasn't able to figure it out - but I did some experimenting and found out a fix. My existing installation PAYE Tools app is located in: /Applications/HMRC/payetools-rti/rti.app But after trying the PAYE Tools installer on a new Mac the app gets put here: /Applications/Basic PAYE Tools.app So I zipped up the old app (/Applications/HMRC) and deleted that folder and ran the installer again and ran the new app which is now located in: /Applications/Basic PAYE Tools.app It seems to be picking up the data from my home folder now which is why I believe it's safe to delete /Applications/HMRC (I stilled made a zipped copy of it): /Users/My Username/HMRC This is purely my own experience, I am not part of HMRC, this is not official HMRC advice, at your own risk etc.
Posted Mon, 02 May 2022 10:21:05 GMT by Mike Smith
I had a different experience. I followed HMRC's advice about checking that a particular folder existed which it did. So I rebooted, re-downloaded and installed the app, then clicked on it to open it. After thirty seconds or so, it then showed that the software was not responding, but at that moment the phone rang. After dealing with the call I returned to my machine to find that the app was loaded and running perfectly - but was still showing as unresponsive in the Dock! That means that this tiny piece of programming - 172Mb - took over 4 minutes to boot up and display on the screen, as compared to Photoshop - 3.79Gb which is ready to go in about 12 seconds. Perhaps HMRC need to review the qualifications of their software designers.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.