Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:05:02 GMT by AMANDA GRAY
I am a Belgian national living in the UK with permanent leave to remain. I have lived in the UK for 9 years. I have never owned property in the UK. I own a 10% share of my mothers property in Belgium as she was unable to get a mortgage on her own. I pay £200 per month on my share of the mortgage. I married a UK citizen and we now wish to purchase a property in the UK together. The deposit for the new property is coming from my spouse's house sale. I have been told by my conveyancer that I need to pay a additional £11,100 stamp duty land tax because of my share of the property in Belgium. Can my mother send me a cash gift to pay for the additional SDLT without there being any tax repercussions for me?
Posted Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:59:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. Further guidance can be found here:

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.