Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Mar 2023 07:51:54 GMT by David Rowlinson
My wife paid for 4 extra years NI contributions in December 2021. Her State Pension started in January 2022. By May 2022 her NI account was still not credited so she called HMRC and was told that she would have to wait as there was a backlog. She called again in October 2022 and told it should be credited by December 2022. We are now in March 2023 and still nothing has happened. How can she escalate this matter as the delay in her contributions being credited and more importantly her State Pension being increased is unacceptable!!!
Posted Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:33:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

We are sorry for the delay in allocating your wife's payment.

You can find information on how to complain and what happens when you complain to HMRC here:

Complain about HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:33:27 GMT by National insurance
Hi. I am on universal credit so I should automatically receive class 3 national insurance credits. I have had non paid into my record for over 4 years. I have been going back and forth between hmrc and universal credit who are blaming each other for the mistake. It is still not sorted after 4 years
Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:59:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi National insurance,

HMRC do not award benefit credits you must contact the Universal Credits helpline:
Number 0800 328 5644
Text Relay 18001 0800 328 9344
Welsh language 0800 328 1744
Lines are open 08:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday
Web Address:
Universal Credit

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 05 Apr 2023 03:37:35 GMT by Lee Lewis
Hello, I also have a 4 year gap in contributions. I was working from age 16 until November 2017. So from 2002 to 2018 I have 16 years of contributions. But from 2018 to 2022 I have 4 years where it says "Year is not full" and "You did not make any contributions this year". I'm receiving incapable of looking for work Universal Credit, and PIP, due to my mental disability. But the government website says I should be receiving class 3 National Insurance credits. This is particularly troubling as I just happened to be thinking about the state pension, and decided to look up my contributions. There may be many others out there who do not know that this is happening. Who do I contact regarding this please? As I am worried about my future (if I live long enough) and the government pension. [name removed by admin]
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 15:11:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lee Lewis,

You will need to contact the Department of Work and Pensions, Universal credit department to check why you are not receiving class 3 National Insurance credits, for the periods you have been in receipt of the benefit.
Their contact number is 0800 328 5644, and their lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.