Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jan 2022 19:45:55 GMT by JRichardG
My wife had two jobs and was taxed through PAYE in both, with tax code split accordingly. One job subsequently dropped to part time hours and salary taking her total income down below the personal allowance and we have discovered that she has paid too much tax. I cannot find anywhere to make a claim for a refund - can anyone point me in the right direction? She is still an employee but still with an income below the allowance so it would be a repayment claim as opposed to alteration of coding.
Posted Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:13:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi JRichardG,

If this was during the current year and the code is still split, we would need to update this to get full allowance back on the employment to generate a refund otherwise we would issue a refund at the end of the tax year after we reconcile the year.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Nov 2022 04:19:58 GMT by Caroline Stead
I complete a self-assessment form online every year but have never expected a refund. In every previous year the online form has included an option to supply details for receiving a refund if one is due - eg to a bank account, by donating it, etc. This year that section has vanished from the form without mention and for the first time ever, my calculation shows I am due a refund. When I submitted my return the message said if I was due a refund, I had to wait 72 hours, then log back in to claim it. However, though more than 72 hours have elapsed, when I log back in, nowhere can I see any mention of a refund or how to claim it; could someone please advise? This seems a very unhelpful change for the user, ie removing the option to supply refund details in advance and than failing to show how to claim one. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 14:46:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

This was done as part of additional security, if you are unable to see where to claim the refund on your account after 72 hours, please contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:48:47 GMT by Caroline Stead
Thank you. However, it would be helpful to know where I should look on my account to claim a refund, please, as this might save me contacting your team unnecessarily. So far as I could see online, there was no mention even of the subject, let alone the process. Others in the same position would probably appreciate this information, too.
Posted Tue, 15 Nov 2022 11:36:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

As we are unable to see a version of the online account, I can't advise where this would be.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.