Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 14:02:43 GMT by Alexandra Ryder
Going to give some background so sorry if this is long! So towards the end of April 2019 I left my job at Employer 1. My salary payment at the end of April should have been my last at this employer. Unfortunately, they missed me off the Leaver's list in April, and they accidentally paid me a full month's salary at the end of May. I contacted them and rectified this (repaid the full amount), but then they messed up my P45 and it incorrectly showed as me receiving payment in April and May from Employer 1. This messed up my tax code when I started at Employer 2 at the start of May 2019. I ended up being on an incorrect tax code for most of the rest of 2019. Eventually this was resolved and my tax code was changed for the following year (20-21) so I recouped the extra tax I had paid in 19-20. However, the tax code I was assigned stayed the same into 21-22, so I have been underpaying tax for this financial year. Fully aware I need to pay this back. Whilst at Employer 2, I signed up for Self Assessment, as I needed to reclaim the tax on my petrol expenses for 2019-20. I haven't needed to reclaim this for 20-21 so I have filled my SA for that year, and requested to cancel my requirement for SA going forwards. Once my SA return was submitted, its calculated my underpayment for the year 20-21 and I have paid this. However, at the same time, I have received a letter with my new tax code, which is lower as HMRC have stated I owe tax for last financial year. But as far as I am aware I have just paid this off via Self Assessment return. So after all that, my question is - will my Tax Code return to the standard code once my SA payment have been 'credited' to my account? Will this happen automatically? Or do I need to contact someone at HMRC to go through this? Where do I find the correct department's contact details?
Posted Tue, 25 Jan 2022 23:17:36 GMT by Sophie fort
I’ve been getting taxed way over the odds for months and even after ringing to change my tax code nothing has been sorted
Posted Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:23:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Alexandra Ryder,

You will need to speak with our helpine because when you complete a Self Assessment that overwrites any non Self Assessment calculation previously done, we would need to check exactly what has been in your tax code.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.