Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:08:23 GMT by Thomas Brooke
In maintaining less than 30 working days in the UK, I wish to book some holiday that I will spend in the UK during weekdays (classified as workdays)/ would a letter from my employer that I have booked holidays on these dates be sufficient as evidence to demonstrate that I was not working ? Also over Christmas the company is closed between Christmas and New Year. Please advise. Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:09:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Thomas Brook
Yes this would be considered supporting evidence, which may be required in the event of an enquiry.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:46:03 GMT by Jo Evans
Hello. Please can you assist. I am applying for the DNV in Spain. I have all my paperwork together, (including my A1 certificate). I need my employers to provide me with the letter which states that my job can be done remotely, but they are reluctant to do so at the moment. This is because their accountants have advised that they need to set up a payroll in Spain in order to pay me. My understanding is that this advice is incorrect, and that my employers continue to pay me as normal until I get the NT tax code, and I will then pay tax in Spain. Am I correct? The DNV requires me to be employed by a UK company, so I am unsure where the accountants are getting their information from. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:02:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You are correct, a different payrol is not required.

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 22:40:39 GMT by Samuel Christopherson
Hi HMRC, So I've been given the green light from my company to work in Spain under their 3 year digital nomad visa scheme as long as continue to be a UK tax payer. I don't see myself spending more than 4 weeks in the UK per year once I move, can I continue to fulfil this requirement? Warmest regards, Sam
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:54:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

It is your tax residence that determines if you are a tax payer and as you intend to be in the UK for only 4 weeks per year, it is unlilely you are UK resident and you therefore may want to discuss this with your employer.

Further guidance is at:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.