Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 28 Oct 2022 14:38:23 GMT by umarjee4u
Hi, we have been using DHL for goods to deliver from China to UK but recently prices have gone up by 100% on DHL shipping charges. We normally pay VAT and custom Duty to DHL on behalf of HMRC to do custom clearance of our goods and keep payments record as duty paid for our goods import. I want to know if we start using shipping agent from China who offer DDP service and deliver goods to our office. What sort of documents or proof we will need legally to be on safe side that we will not be liable for any future unexpected custom duty and VAT for our import goods if we are using DDP. DDP agent just ask shipping charges which he says including shipping cost and UK import taxes. He is only offering a standard shipping service invoice for this DDP service. Looking forward for some advice.
Posted Sat, 29 Oct 2022 09:13:41 GMT by Customs oldtimer
As far as HMRC are concerned it is the person named as the importer on the import declaration who is the legal debtor for customs purposes. The duty can be paid on the importers behalf by someone else. As it will be very difficult for a Chinese company to be the importer in my experience it is the receiver of the goods who is often named as the importer. This means that if any details such as the value or goods classification on the declaration is found to be incorrect after import HMRC will be asking the named importer for the additional duties. If you are also VAT registered then it is even more likely you will be named as the importer. I recommend that you check with the DDP agent who will be the importer and if you are VAT registered who will be responsible for the import VAT.
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:49:29 GMT by carol conway
we have had problems with DHL, Fedex and UPS, even if DDP is shown on the invoice if there is any mention of your EORI the couriers just assume you are the importer. another option, if you have a deferment account you can tell/authorise DHL to use that for the duty and VAT due.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 13:41:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi umarjee4u
I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.