Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:34:01 GMT by Natalie C
Dear HMRC Representative, Could you please clarify whether I need to pay custom duties when I bring my personal belongings to the UK under Ukrainian scheme via DHL? At site it clearly says I can use green channel and there is no value limit on items I bring into the UK (with the very few exceptions). Please see the link What if I bring my personal belongings (namely used personal closing) via DHL and not personally? Should it be also "duty-free"? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:24:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
This guidance refers to arriving in person into the UK:
Bringing personal items to the UK if you’re coming from Ukraine
For bringing other personnal belongs via DHL you will need to follow the Transfit of residence guidance .
Transfer of Residence relief, which relieves customs duty and import VAT on people’s personal property when they move their main place of residence to the UK.
There is no limit to how long the goods can be in the UK, and no value limit.
Prior application is usually required, although it is possible to claim this relief retrospectively.
The rules and process for claiming are covered in guidance:
Transfer of residence to the UK

You must be signed in to post in this forum.