Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 11:24:44 GMT by
Hello, Just wondering if anyone can help me. Last year when I started my new job my tax code was changed to 1166L as I apparently underpaid tax by £200. I was told this was how they would get back the underpayment. At the end of the last tax year I was sent a refund of £321. It said it was for the tax year 2021 - 2022. A couple of days later I then received my p800 letter. I read it the best I could. So the letter stated in 2018 - 2019 I over paid tax of £743. The letter said hmrc owes you and will be paid in a later year. Next p800 letter said in 2020 - 2021 I overpaid tax of £545. Again it says hmrc owes you and will be paid in a later year. I was very confused so I called hmrc. They told me the refund was for what they owed me for both of them years and it was also the underpayment of tax. I said to them that was why my tax code was changed so they could take back the £200 I owed. They said that's how it's worked out. I don't understand tax at all. Can anyone possibly help me understand this lol. Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:44:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If calculations are issued for multiple years, the calculation for the latest year will always be the refund amount you receive. We can't confirm the position on this forum as we can't view your record. If you have any further queries please contact the helpline again.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.