Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Oct 2022 11:52:15 GMT by L L
I moved to the UK last August and found a full-time job in November. At the same time, I occasionally receive translation jobs on a freelancer platform base onUS. The income after each job is settled in US dollars. I've declared I live in the UK and received the money after tax paid by the platform before it went into my bank account in the UK. I have the following questions to ask: 1. My HMRC income details only have my full-time income information. Do I need to declare the income from freelance work separately? (Taxes have been paid on the platform) 2. If yes, what kind of income should I choose? Is it a kind of overseas income? (Because it is settled in US dollars) 3. My partner also does freelance work on this platform and earns only 2,774 pounds in 21/22. Since he does not have a local full-time job, HMRC shows that he has no tax to pay, but does he also need to declare this income? Thanks for the help.
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 09:24:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes this income needs to be declared for both you and your partner and will be self employed income.

If tax paid in another country, you also need a foreign income page to show this and claim a credit for the foreign tax.

See guidance at :

Tax on foreign income  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.