Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 02:59:03 GMT by joep peter
I am a US citizen. In Jan 2021, I made an investment in the UK which required me to get a UTR created. I am not expecting any financial return (no interest, nothing) in the first couple of years from this investment, but it looks like I was to file UK taxes nonetheless. I now have a communication from UK's HMRC that claims I have a large penalty (>600 pounds) because I did not file taxes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the penalty waived? (I am not even able to login to the HMRC account as it says I would have set up a Google Authenticator 2-step verification, but I don't seem to recollect doing so). Thank you!
Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:07:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You would need to contact the Self Assessment helpline to discuss if a tax return is required.

If the return was issued in error, it should be withdrawn and the penalties cancelled.  

If correctly issued, you would need to submit the tax return and appeal the penalties using form SA370.  

Disagree with a tax decision

An appeal can only be considered if the return is already submitted.  

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 04 Sep 2022 04:27:17 GMT by joep peter
Thank you for the pointer. It appears that I need to turn in a tax return, but I am being asked to have a National Insurance Number, which I do not have. I am a US citizen and have never ever resided in UK. I have tried calling the National insurance healthline but I am unable to ascertain if it is even possible to get a National Insurance Number for a US resident. Can you please advise?
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 10:30:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

A Self Assessment tax return can be issued without the need of a National Insurance number.

Please contact our Self Assessment team to advise that you meet Self Assessment criteria:

Self Assessment: general enquiries.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.