Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 17:55:20 GMT by Claire Claire
To whom it may concern, I work in the security industry and need a top up course to renew my SIA license. I would like to know if: the course and the cost of renewing the licence, are eligible to a tax deduction ? The cost of license yes but the course I have to pay for, any tax deduction or tax credit? Many thanks for those who can give me an answer.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 12:52:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Claire Claire,

You can claim the cost of the license as an allowable business expense.

Please see this link to help further:

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 15 May 2023 18:12:41 GMT by Claire Claire
Hi, Thank you for quick answer but I am an employee from a company, Is it the same ? Please Let me know.
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 12:44:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Section 250 ITEPA 2003 does not give employees tax relief for the costs of self-financed training where the cost of training is not reimbursed by the employer.  

EIM32525 also advises "No deduction should normally be permitted under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 for expenses incurred by an employee for external education. This is so even where the subject of the education is closely relevant to the nature of the employment. The expenses are not deductible because they are not incurred in the performance of the duties of the employment".  

There are very few circumstance where this is not the case.  

Have a look at:

EIM32525 - Other expenses: education and training: education costs

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:27:03 GMT by Liam Kelly
I am in the same situation but fail to understand why these top-up courses are not tax deductable as these qualifications are required before being able to renew your license. Without your license, you are not permitted to work - the license and training courses go hand in glove together. The question is - can I claim training costs, accommodation, travel and licensing costs associated with remaining employable within a fully licensed and regulated industry? Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:09:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Section 250 ITEPA 2003 does not give employees tax relief for the costs of self-financed training where the cost of training is not reimbursed by the employer.

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

The following guidance also advises "No deduction should normally be permitted under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 for expenses incurred by an employee for external education. This is so even where the subject of the education is closely relevant to the nature of the employment. The expenses are not deductible because they are not incurred in the performance of the duties of the employment" 

EIM32525 - Other expenses: education and training: education costs

The only exception is where the external education is an integral part of the duties of the employment. You can see guidance here:

EIM32535 - Other expenses: education and training: where education is part of the duties of the employment

Please also see the guidance here:

EIM32545 - Other expenses: education and training: where education is part of the duties of the employment: examples

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.