Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:33:30 GMT by Panagiota Angeli
Hi I have British and Greek citizenships. I am an employee and receive all my income in UK. I have no income in Greece. I need to open a bank account in Greece and the greek bank asked me for a Tax residency Certificate. How can I apply for one? How long does it take to have it issued?
Posted Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:29:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

A certificate of residence will not be issued if you have no foreign income. We can issue a letter of confirmaton instead.

You can apply here:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

You should receive a reply within 3 weeks.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 14:51:34 GMT by Sokratis
Hi I am not sure if this is the right forum for this. I am looking to apply for a tax residency certificate in retrospect (i.e not only for this financial year but also for some years back). I never had income in Greece and the only reason I want this is so I can formally register as a foreign national with the tax office in Greece. When I go to the online application it only asks me for my current employer. Will I still be able to get a certificate or the confirmation letter for all the years that I will request the certificate for?Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:24:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sokratis,

Have a look at the guidance at: How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad 
If you have a government gateway user ID and password, you can use the online service, otherwise you can email a form.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 13:48:40 GMT by Sokratis
Thank you for your response. I had a look at the guidance and I am aware that I can use the online service. What I am asking is, when I use the online service, can I ask for a tax residency certificate or letter of confirmation (whichever one applies) for any number of years or will it have to be only for the current one?
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:04:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You can request that either the certificate of residence or letter of confirmation of residence, cover any periods in the past. 

We will endeavor to accommodate those dates, where we have supporting evidence that you were resident in the UK between those dates .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.