Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 08:52:00 GMT by Elizabeth
Hello, I moved to the Netherlands in 2019 and have lived there ever since working part time. I did not send anything to HMRC when I left as I was at that point not paying any tax and didn’t realise I may have to. It is now four years later and I have sent off the initial form I was supposed to. However my question is now, I have income under £1000 each year from my savings account in the UK, but no other income from the UK. Should I have been filling in a self assessment form all this time, and if so, what now?
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 17:44:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Elizabeth,
You do not need to complete a Self Asssessment Tax return. 
Guidance here:
Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 18:05:11 GMT by Elizabeth
Hello, Is this as a result of the amount being under the personal allowance? I see on the advice page that you can receive the personal allowance if you are a British citizen, but that as a non-resident you must apply for this. Would I have needed to apply for the personal allowance or is it applied automatically? I have seen conflicting information regarding this.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 14:58:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, it is.
As a UK national you would still be entitled to personal allowances when you live abroad.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 15:34:12 GMT by Elizabeth
Thank you for your reply, that still leaves this question though: I may be entitled to it, but is this applied automatically or have I needed to apply for it every year?
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 16:18:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Its applied automatically.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.