Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:17:35 GMT by Franco
Hi, I moved from European country into UK in mid 2007 and paid full 18 years NI contributions. I have acquired UK citizenship in 2017. Q1) Can I make voluntary NI contributions for the period prior to 2007? Q2) If yes what type of NI (class 2,3, x?) Q3) If yes how many years back ? I attempted to call Pension services landline for help but the line seems not working hence posting here. Many Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:10:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can only apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions (NICs) from the year in which you came to the UK. So, if you came to the UK between 06 April 2007 to 05 April 2008 you can apply to pay voluntary Class 3 NICs from the start of the 2007 to 2008 tax year. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.