Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 16:44:21 GMT by l_sp
Hi. I've been asked to provide a UK certificate of residence in the form of a letter stating full dates of the time I've been living and paying my taxes in the UK for over 12 months. I need it for tax purposes when moving my personal belongings back to Spain. This letter should be signed by my Council, but it doesn't seem to be an option for them. Could HMRC do this for me? I'm trying to understand if the HMRC Certificate of Residency would help what I need, but it's asking for far too much information that I don't have, given I haven't had any foregin income whilst living here, Can you help me here? Is there any option you can think of? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 26 Aug 2022 10:54:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

Certificates of residence can be requested by visiting GOV.UK and searching for "certificate of residence".  

Applying, by using the 'online service' will provide a quicker response than the 'email a form' option.  To use the online service you will need request a government gateway user id and password (which can also be used to create a personal tax account), if you do not already have one.

Where a certificate of residence is not appropriate, a Letter of Confirmation of Residence may be issued instead and if neither are appropriate, we will write to you with an explanation.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:28:01 GMT by l_sp
Hi, thank you for the answer. Unfortunately I can't use the online service because I haven't lived in the UK for over 3 months and Gateway can't confirm my identy with previous addresses. I have had to do ever single form or request via phone and postal service. A Letter of confirmation of residence might be what I need here. I need it to say the dates I've been living in the UK and my address. How can I get this one? Do I need to apply for it? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:35:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

As you are unable to use the online service, you will need to use the "email a form" option, which can be found at:

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad

Please complete the form and submit.  Your request with then be sent securely to HMRC for processing.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Aug 2022 17:58:57 GMT by l_sp
Hi, As said in previous messages, that's not what I need in this situation because I haven't had any foreign income. Following from the last reply from HMRC Admin 30, a Letter of Confirmation of Residence may be issued instead. How can this be issued? What do I need to do? It was also said that if neither are appropriate, you will write to me with an explanation. Can you help me with this? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 07 Sep 2022 10:58:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You still submit a request at online at :

How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad  . 

When your request is processed, either a certificate of residence or a letter of confirmation of residence will be issued,
depending on which is appropriate. 

If neither option is appropriate, we would write to you with an explanation .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.