Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Jan 2023 12:48:55 GMT by
Hi: I received distributions from a non-transparent non-reporting offshore fund. The HMRC Investment Funds Manual IFM13356 seems to make clear that like gains on these funds, any distributions are also treated as "miscellaneous foreign income": "this income is taxable as miscellaneous foreign income [...] and the tax rates applying will be those applying to such income." - IFM13356 On the self assessment tax return, SA106 Box 41 should be used for reporting gains, as the description makes clear reference to the disposal of offshore-funds. SA106 Box 41 has the description: "Gains on disposals of holdings in offshore funds (excluding the amounts entered in box 13) and discretionary income from non-resident trusts " However, for income, it references "non-resident trusts" which is less clear to me. Should distributions paid from these non-reporting non-transparent offshore funds also be put in the same Box 41?
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:32:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to further guidance here:

Income and benefits from transfers of assets abroad or from Non-Resident Trusts (Self Assessment helpsheet HS262)

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:12:31 GMT by
Dear HRMC Admin Sorry that I have go through the guideline many times but confused: If I have foreign NON REPORTING fund with Monthly interest, should I put it in Box A (foreign interest ) or BOX 41 ?(As box 41 require GAIN ON DISPOSAL ofHolding, but I m recieving the intrest paid instead of selling it) So in my situation, should i put it back into Box A instead. Unless I dispose it in future, then i should input in box 41? Mamy mamy thanks for your kind clarification as I was stucked . Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:19:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
As you havent sold it, its not a gain and you will show it as interest.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:40:37 GMT by
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 13:12:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
That is correct.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:42:16 GMT by
Hi hmrc May I request a guideline / manual how I can report my offshore non report trust in the SA 106 ((the foreign form), guildng me which box I should enter my income step by step? Million thanks Sam
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:31:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi samwai,
Please refer to:
How do I report my income from a reporting offshore fund?
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 20:08:11 GMT by
Thanks . After going through the manual, can I clarify if my interpretion corect? 1. My unit trust in Hong Kong is non reporting, the monthly interest distributed is categorized as interest and subject to interest allowance? 2. The net gain after selling the unit trust is counted as Income instead of capital gain. Please see if my integration in correct and correct me if I were wrong.
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 10:46:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi samwai,
As a non reporting offshore fund, you are correct.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:59:49 GMT by
Hi HMRC If my overseas interest is more than 2000 pounds that year -> I can leave box 3 in SA 100 blank (as amount exceed £2000) -> put down the total amount in SA106 ONLY May I know if my interpreting correct?
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:52:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

That is correct.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.