Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 05:20:52 GMT by JLTIO
Hi. Glad to find this forum by HMRC. I notice the deadline of registering self assessment is 5 October 2022. I was trying to register it, but my problems are: -I moved to the UK last year and I haven’t got a NI -After I sign in the government gateway account and follow the steps, it asks me do I have NI number. When I reply NO for NI, then it asks my personal information to check my identity. But seems the system always reject me as it says my information doesn’t match. -So I can’t register the self assessment now. I heard that I can register it by using postal form? But I’m not sure which form I should use. -Also, I’m not in the UK at the moment and I won’t be back in a few months. Are there any ways that I can register the self assessment? -In this case, I’ll be late for registering the self assessment. Should I write to other HMRC related departments to indicate my difficulties in this registration? Thanks a lot
Posted Fri, 07 Oct 2022 13:52:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 28
Hi,

You can use the option here for fill in, print and post form:

Register for Self Assessment

You can include a covering letter regarding your issues getting registered.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:34:09 GMT by JLTIO
Thanks for the reply. I did try to fill in the SA1 form (for print & post), however, it requires me to have a valid NI number otherwise I can't continue the form. But I haven't got a NI number yet. So what should I do now for the self assessment registration? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:57:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

When completing the online form, it should give you the option to state that you do not have a UK National Insurance number, and this should present a box where you can enter a reason why you do not have one.

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.