Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:32:54 GMT by C CYK
Before I moved to the UK over half a year ago, my mother and I had a joint bank account based outside the UK. It is essential to note that all the funds in this joint account belong solely to my mother, and I do not have any authority to utilize her money to generate interest or dividends. Moreover, my mother is a non-resident and currently lives outside the UK. Given these circumstances, I am unsure how to proceed with my self-assessment tax return, as I hold 0% ownership of her money in the joint account. Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 07:40:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20

As it is a joint bank account, any interest is split 50/50. you would need to submit a declaration of trust to show that none of the interest is yours.
this needs to be signed by you and your mother and witnessed.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 17:38:09 GMT by C CYK
Hi Sir / Madam. Thank you very much for your reply. Can I use HMRC Form 17, which is used to declare beneficial interests in joint property and income, to show that none of the interest belongs to me? If not, please advise. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:18:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The form 17 is for married coupes/civil partnerships only.

If this applies to you then yes you can use the form.

If not, you would need to submit a declaration of trust giveing the revised beneficial split  .

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:38:15 GMT by C CYK
Thank you for HMRC's reply. Form 17 is not applicable for my situation. May I know how to submit a declaration of trust? Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 11:24:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Once you have the declaration of trust, this must be sent in writing to HMRC, PAYE & Self Assessment, BX9 1AS.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.