Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:03:36 GMT by
Hi, I have left UK (moved to INDIA) end of March 2023 and I will not be returning to the UK any longer. I will be completing by self-assessment return for the year 2022-2023 as I lived in UK in that year and have extracted profits through my limited company as dividends. For the year 2023-2024, I will be a non-resident in UK, but I am still the Director of the Ltd company registered in UK. I don’t have any house within the UK nor any other income sources. My only source of income is extracting profits through dividends earned from my Ltd company as I will continue to contract until end of 2023-2024. All the profits by the way are taxed at company level and I will be paying the corporation tax to HMRC as usual. Assuming the dividends are considered as disregarded income and India having double tax agreement with UK, can you please answer the following questions: - 1) Am I only subject to paying tax in India not in UK from 2023-2024 onwards? 2) Should I stop filing self-assessment return from 2023-2024 (split treatment is not applicable as I left UK before the start of new financial year)? 3) Should I only need to file SA109 (SA100 not applicable) for the year 2023-2024 to ensure HMRC stopping me asking to file return in UK? 4) Any other filing required from a tax compliance perspective?
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:45:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As not UK resident in 2023 to 2024, you will not be liable to UK tax. You will still need to file the return for 2023 to 2024 as dividends will be received. You need to complete the SA100 as this is the main return along with the SA109 so that they are classed as disregarded income. This should ensure tax compliance.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:04:01 GMT by
Thanks for clarifying the detail. I didn't understand how I can file SA100 by entering the dividends received in the FY 2023/24 as the self assessment return would automatically calculate the tax as I enter the dividends amount.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.